Taiwan Updates, Pictures, and more.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Cambridge

After about 30 hours of straight traveling, and traveling through 4 different countries, I finally arrived in Cambridge two days ago. What an adventure it was, tiring, but definitely something to remember.
First of all, I was originally supposed to fly on China Airlines to Amsterdam and then from Amsterdam catch a flight to London, Stansted. I already booked my flight to London, so the only thing was to get on the flight to Amsterdam, because I was standby. Well I arrived at the Taipei airport 5 hours early, put my name on the standby waitlist. They told me that I would have to wait until the very end of the check-in time because the flight was going to be full, (I wondered why a flight to Amsterdam would be full, but I found out that they were also going to stop at Bangkok, Thailand...figures).
Well, I didn't get to go on the flight, BUT the check-in person said that I could fly into Vienna, Austria and then if I wanted to I could book a flight from Vienna to Amsterdam or just take the train to Amsterdam, since I had about 6 or 7 hours before my flight. I decided to take the train route since I figured it would give me a tour of the countries. So after a 14 flight to Vienna, I got off the plane at 6:10am and found that it was snowing! I've never seen it snow in person before, so that was awesome. Anyway, I hop on a bus to go to West Bahnhauf (West Trainstation). I buy a ticket to Amsterdam for a whopping 170Euro!!! That's almost $200USD. Regretfully realizing that I should have just booked the plane ticket. But there was nothing I could have done at that moment, so I just got on, rode through Vienna and the rest of Austria and then through Germany. It was so amazing to see the landscapes and all the snow covered hills and houses. Beautiful. I started to really like the German language too because everyone spoke it in Austria and Germany. Well after 10 hours on the train I finally arrive in Frankfurt airport in Frankfurt, Germany where I have to switch trains, and I finally get to eat my first meal since my flight. I was starving. I got a sandwich at the airport, disgusting. Worst sandwich ever. But anyway, another 4 hours later on the train and I arrive in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I really have no time and quickly jet on another train to the airport to try to catch the night flight to London (since I missed my afternoon flight earlier). It is about 9:00pm at this time. I get to the airport and try to see if I can still use my ticket that I paid for, but I had to purchase another ticket for another whopping 150Euro. At this point I just want to get to London and just crying because I spent over $400 USD just to get there. But finally I made it.
I still feel like I'm on the train and moving since I was on it for so long, I think I have some inner ear thing. But the past two days have been really nice. I got to hang out with the couple that I'm staying with and their kids. It's nice to eat a family meal together. I got to see a few parts of Cambridge, some of the colleges and the city center shops. The architechture is amazing. Trying to learn some of the English ways of living (really different from the US). Tomorrow I'm going to London for the day to do some tourist stuff. So that's my adventure in Europe/UK for now. I have much more to say, but I have to sleep. Until next time...

1 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

That's what I love about traveling...so many good stories come out of all your suffering...I'm jealous you're in England. I miss it...Have so much fun!!

11:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home