Taiwan Updates, Pictures, and more.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Money, God, and Masters

"Jesus looked at him and said, 'How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!'" - Luke 18:24

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:26

A few years ago I gave sort of a talk on the subject of basically "who's your master?" I was really fired up about it, delivered it with all that I had telling them that God has to be your master, I fully believed in (or at least wanted to believe in) everything I was saying. When I look back at that time I could honestly say that I was fired up for God; I was on fire for God. It was also around that time I felt God calling me to seminary. Biology just wasn't doing it for me anymore. I was afraid of what my might life might turn out like if I didn't take God's call on my life seriously. Granted I was still young in my faith, but I was ready and willing to do drastic, drastic things to follow the God of the universe the best I could.

Then life happened. I was part of a promising church plant that didn't work out, relationships questioned, unhealthy relationships formed, things that just really tore me down spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. And I take the blame for most of it; had I made better decisions maybe some of it wouldn't have happened. Hindsight is obviously 20/20.

But as I look at my life and where I've been spiritually lately, I just ask myself the question, "what happened?" When did it start to be about me? Where is the fire? The passion.
Obviously the consequences of everything that happened had something to do with it. But when I look at Christians as a whole I feel the exact same way. Where is our passion? Where is our desire to live lives that match up to the Bible's teaching, for reals. It seems like being a Christian now is about blending in with the Christian crowd so that no one would question your "Christian-ness". The point now is to avoid being pointed out as a fraud. Just doing enough so that we can wear our Christian name proudly. Hearing a few sermons about generosity and giving started to get me thinking about this more. And I agree with other people on this that one, that one of the biggest hinderances in being passionate about God especially in the America is money.

Jesus says that it's hard for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God. So that puts us already at a bad position spiritually because we are rich. I have nothing new to say about it, but just think about it. We're rich. But yet we (I) feel like we need more. I should be making this much money, and have this much saved up for my retirement and this much invested. I'm hungry, I'll go buy a pizza. I'm bored, I'll go watch a movie. But the thing is, the more money we have, the less we feel needy and find security in that rather than in God. You know I think about the beatitudes where Jesus says, Blessed are the poor in spirit, those who mourn and the meek. These were the lowest of the lows, the poorest of the poor, but yet Jesus says that the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. These are the people ready to hear the message of Jesus, because they are poor and they know it.

To be fair though money isn't evil. It's when we put it above God that we start to get into trouble. I'll admit even for myself though, I fall into this mindset. But I think the reason why I fall into this is because I don't have an accurate picture of God. I think if I truly had an accurate view of who God was and how huge and real He is, I'd be shaking in my boots. I'd be on my face every night praying rather than praying myself to sleep. If I really knew who God was, I mean really knew and really believed it, I would be living totally differently. I'd take every prayer seriously because I'm talking to the God of the Universe. I'd see that all of MY money, was really His and that nothing is mine and the only thing that matters in this life, is that He's glorified.

And so that brings me to the masters question. Who is my master? Is it God, or is it money? Is it God, or is it family? Jesus says "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple." I want to be able to love God so much and be so devoted to Him that the love I give to anyone else seems like hate. I want to be because I'm not there. Not even close. And I as I think about how I was before, I want to be willing to do drastic, drastic things so that God would be first in my life. To take the risks He's called me to take. The chip of ice on top of the tip of the iceberg was Taiwan for me. I'm tired of being lukewarm. I wanna burn. Don't you?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wesley,
Wow, it is so good to hear about what is on your heart right now .. or recently. I know you know what I mean. Reading your post makes me think of the song 'Consuming Fire'. Yeah, I am with you. I want to burn too and I am finding that I need to put more and more of myself into His hands for that to happen. Hey did I tell you that the English Cell Group has grown so much that we are starting a new one this Sunday . . and I am the new leader. It is quite a challenge for me, but I am excited about it! I believe all of this stirring up in you is going to lead to greater and greater things. I think more of that iceberg is melting than you think. We miss you around here! Until next time.

12:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, Wes...
ha~ this could be my first time to read out all your one article, i mean i used to read some paragraphs of one article coz reading English is not that easy for me.
hey, i agree what you say, "I think if I truly had an accurate view of who God was and how huge and real He is, I'd be shaking in my boots. I'd be on my face every night praying rather than praying myself to sleep. If I really knew who God was, I mean really knew and really believed it, I would be living totally differently." i'm always thinking HOW. read Bible every? pray every minute? or read spiritual books everyday? i don't know. i think i need to make up my mind to spare an abundant time for dating with Him.
i like to read your article, although i can't understand all of them.

9:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home